Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm not being cynical, just giving some advice...

After a recent confusing 'half' relationship, I have some advice to give men who are not entirely sure if the girl they are currently seeing is for them (the fact that you are thinking that at all is the first clue). These are collected from my own and others' experiences where a slightly significant other cannot find it in them to be completely honest and end up in a pickle. I'm not saying it's intentionally malicious, it just happens often.
Call it "Ways not to mislead"
1. On a date, after a snog, do not hold a girl's hand and say "I feel just like a teenager again". This implies feelings that you may not actually have, you are making the recipient believe otherwise.

2. "You're a really good kisser." This implies it is something you would like to continue doing on a number of occasions in the foreseeable future and only with this person.

3. "You should show me how to do that sometime." This one is wrong for a number of reasons. Firstly, it says that you are planning ahead which you may or may not be doing. Secondly, when said in the bedroom it means something altogether different... Wanting to please someone there is heading for intimacy people!

4. "I am nervous of being rejected." Roughly translated for women as "I like you and am concerned that I will be the one to get hurt."

5. "I think you're a really clever, organised, outgoing person." Insert any compliment here. Unless its sincere, don't say it. And if it is sincere, realise that saying it implies some sort of affection or intent.

6. "Tell me something about yourself." Showing interest in a persons view of themselves and past is merely a version of 'I want to know everything about you' hence want to know more about you in the future.

7. Coming to my house for dinner with wine and planned dessert. Now that surely should be obvious to everyone.

8. A hand on the small of the back is a protective/possessive gesture. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

9. "I'm really a serial monogamous." backed up with "Men tend to date more than one person at once." Make up your freaking mind!!

10. "I'm really enjoying lying here listening to music with you."... Aah, I give up.

I personally have some rules that may apply to others.
I may be interested in, flirting with, dating more than one person at a time but I only sleep with one.
When I say I like you, I mean that I would like to be more than friends. Even more so when in bed with you (here's me thinking this was a given).
If you are confused and not sure if what you want is actually only a friendship with benefits, just bloody well say so. I'm a big girl and can make the choice for myself. Please don't assume that you are the most important thing happening in my life. Dealt with much bigger issues.

I tell the truth regardless of how this makes me appear to others or how much it will hurt me in the future. At least people will know where they stand. Honesty beyond self.

No comments:

Post a Comment