Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Brain first, mouth second

I decided a number of weeks ago to make a couple of household purchases - air mattress and blender, how exciting! As the Red Dot Boutique was advertising a sale, I logged onto their website to ensure that what I had seen advertised was indeed true, the items I require on sale. Don't want to go to a shopping centre and return empty handed, all that pain for nought. But there they were, just as promised.
So I got me down to the nearest outlet, found my air mattress then wandered fruitlessly around the store looking for my promised blender. Sale signs all around, electrical goods but no blender. There were a number that looked similar but I was a little unsure which was on sale. Found me a 'customer service representative'.
"Excuse me, I believe there was a blender on sale in your catalogue. Could you please show me which model is on sale?"
She pointed to the items stacked around enormous red 'SALE' signs, "These are the things on sale."
Patient face on, I replied,"Yes but is there a blender on sale?"
She started walking in a purposeful manner to the electrical items, gestured and said,"These are our blenders."
I thought I would give it one more go. "Which is the one that is on sale in your current catalogue? I saw it on your website."
"There isn't one for sale. Are you sure it was our website?"

There are a number of assumptions I make about this interaction, although I have had worse. I have to believe that
a) the girl was stupid or more disturbingly
b) she is so used to dealing with complete idiots that this is her standard response.

At no point did she listen to all the information given to her before forming an answer. This, people, is why I teach.

Lesson 1. Brain first, mouth second.

No comments:

Post a Comment